Sunday, November 15, 2009

Gluten Free update and HELP!



Many of you have asked how the Gluten Free diet is going so here it is!

Austin is still on the Gluten Free diet although I have to admit I've had SEVERAL days where I either wish he wasn't or that I feel bad that I'm making him do it. Some days are really easy and other days are really hard. We've recently had quite a few birthdays in my family (with mine coming around the corner!) so I made Austin the Betty Crocker Gluten Free Brownies. He loves them! He actually gets mad at me when I cut him off from the chocolately goodness. =)

Austin is only on the Gluten Free diet at the time. I'll do this diet for a time and then *hopefully* we'll add in the Casein free diet as well. (No milk/dairy) I have read that the casein free diet may help with digestion and self stimming but haven't really seen anything about the GF diet doing that. Austin stims a lot and sometimes we stop him, sometimes we don't. It all depends on how distracting it is for the rest of us!

I haven't seen a ton of changes in Austin since I started the GF diet but all books/articles state that it can take up to a year to clear all Gluten from your body so I'll give it at least a year and go from there. His teacher has seen changes in him at school though. She claims he's more attentive, willing to sit in his chair, and able to follow directions better. He's also started making some new sounds/pitches with his voice recently so that could possibly be from the diet as well.

On to other things...

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!


Several months ago, Austin started yelling at the TV. It's not 'inside' voice level that you can tolerate either. It's the top of your lungs (or close to it) yelling with all his might. Thankfully, Andrew is gracious enough to keep quiet and has yet to tell his brother to be quiet or to complain that he can't hear the movie. Mommy on the other hand is quickly losing her patience and her mind. I cannot stand him yelling at the TV. He does it every 5-10 seconds for the ENTIRE movie. We've tried redirecting him, we've tried pausing the movie and talking to him, and we've tried sending him to his room. Nothing works. Plus pausing the movie isn't fair for Andrew. I seriously am contemplating getting those noise reducing ear muffs.

Seriously, it's that bad. I get a headache and my patience gets paper thin. We purchased him a weighted vest (more on that later when I have a bit more sanity) but we haven't seen the slightest change with his yelling. Any and all comments are welcome!

*The video is of quiet yelling. To get a true impression, turn your volume up all the way. =) And no, he doesn't always sit this close to the TV. I've just reached the end of my patience and don't care at the moment! ;)

4 comments:

Cindy said...

I'm so glad you posted an update on GF because I've been meaning to ask you if you'd seen any results but kept forgetting when I'm actually at the computer!

I can't give much advice about the yelling. Although I have to admit that it sounds *to me* more that he's vocalizing along with the TV...like he's trying to participate in it? The only thing I can suggest is what I'm doing with Natalie in church now that we're having her in the service instead of in the nursery: when she starts reading aloud to the books she has, I ask her to whisper. And then I repeat the word she just said, but in a whisper. So far, this tactic has been the most successful in getting her to quiet down during church. So you could try something like that with Austin: when he makes the sound, ask him to whisper, and then make the sound in a whisper to show him what you mean. I hope it works (no guarantees!) I know what you mean about being at the end of your rope...it's not a pretty sight in our house!

Anonymous said...

thanks for the update. Funny Noah has started this "screaming thing" too at a movie. But its much louder and more obnoxious than that . He also does it when he is really excited. It has actually scared people when we are out. I think he is experimenting with his voice. He has been doing a lot more babbling lately. I know it can be nerve wracking though,

The Peacock Family said...

I'm glad for the GF update as well, I have been meaning to tell you that I found a fruit snack that is gluten free and I automatically thought of you. You probably are know this but the brand is Florida's Natural and I really like them. I usually get them at Target.

I don't have any advice as far as the yelling goes, hopefully you can figure something out. I'm sure I would get frustrated too.

Bethany said...

The only thing I can think of is when he yells stopping the movie (pause) and not restarting it until he shows a "quiet voice". It would make for a long movie viewing but with repetition may teach him that when he yells he does not get access to the thing he wants, but when he uses a quiet voice he can access it. Wish I could help more!!