Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Here at the Mayo Clinic

Okay so I haven't blogged in a very long time. It's been rather crazy at our house and frankly, I just wanted to read other blogs and not deal with mine. =)

I'm blogging from the Mayo Clinic in Phoenix, Arizona right now. My husband, Ben, is donating part of his liver to his Uncle who has liver cancer. Surgery began 2 hours ago and I have heard that he is doing well and the surgery is going smoothly. The surgery is supposed to last 4 hours long and then I'll eventually get to see him. Ben is a perfect match on all levels for this surgery which is just amazing. There is way too much going to with all this to sit down and blog about it in one sitting...(which is why I haven't blogged about it previously). No clue where to start!

Ben will be in the hospital for 4-7 days and then he'll have to recover at his parents house for one week before they'll allow him to fly home to NY. Though I would love to stay here in Arizona and be with him, I can't. My kids (and those who are watching them) wouldn't appreciate that. =) I fly back home in 2 days and Lord willing, Ben will be home the end of February where he has to be 'babysat' for 6 weeks and limited to lifting only 5 pounds.

I may blog more about it. We'll see how things go...



Update: Ben is out of surgery and doing well. Surgery went smoothly and he is on his way to recovery to wake up. I get to see him in an hour to an hour and a half (and post more pictures!)

6 comments:

angie said...

Please tell Ben that I am so thankful for people like him! The willingness to give of yourself to others in their time of need is priceless. I will be thinking about him (and your family) during his recovery time. I hope that all goes well with his uncle. Ben has just given his uncle the Gift of Life....and that is an extremely powerful thing!

Cindy said...

I'm so glad you're blogging again! I started to wonder if I wasn't getting your feed again. We're praying for a GREAT outcome and a speedy recovery. Ben, you're a hero for sharing your life with someone.

Brandi said...

Wow, what an amazing couple you are. Giving life to someone is, in my book, the most heroic thing a person can do.

I pray for a speedy recovery for both of them.

Hugs to you as you travel back home.

Angelica mom to JesusRTS said...

praying for a speedy recovery! and for strength for your family!

Anonymous said...

Yes what a gift. I hope they both recover soon. Good to hear from you again..

The Peacock Family said...

What an amazing gift your husband is giving. I am so grateful to you and your husband for making such a big and life changing decision. Here's to a quick recovery!