Friday, May 21, 2010

Embracing becoming a mother to 3...AHHHH!!!

Soooo many changes have had to happen for our family to adapt to becoming a family of 5! Thankfully, the changes have gone MUCH better than expected and my sanity is still intact. Well, at least I think it is for the most part!

On Monday, Ben and I decided to step out on a limb and ask Andrew if he wanted to sleep in Austin's room. He was soo excited! Here's a breakdown of how it's going:

Monday
took 2 hours for boys to fall asleep
Austin kept opening the door (he's gated in)
heard mild "arguing"
boys both slept on the floor next to each other (no idea why, there is a bed in the room!)

Tuesday
took 1 1/2 hours to fall asleep
Andrew asked to sleep IN the twin bed with Austin (very worried for Andrew's sake...Austin hates having people get close to him)
Andrew wakes up early (6am) but Austin continues to sleep til 7am (whoo hoo!)
Ben and I decide this is working so we go buy bunk beds


Wednesday

bunk beds arrive and Andrew is thrilled!
Andrew refuses to fall asleep on the top bunk (even though he loves it)
He INSISTS on sleep on the bottom bunk with Austin
takes them 45 minutes to fall asleep and Austin miraculously doesn't push Andrew off the bed!
boys are still sleeping when I go to wake Austin for school. I take Austin out of the room without waking Andrew!

Thursday
Andrew is settled on sleeping with Austin and Austin doesn't care!
boys are asleep within 20 minutes (hoping to get a picture soon)
get Austin up for school and Andrew is just getting up


Holy cow, who would've thought this would ever happen?!? Austin is VERY territorial and has completely thrown it out the window. He usually won't even sit next to Andrew on the floor or couch.


PLUS...this afternoon Ben and I sign the papers on our new addition. We will be the owners of a blue Nissan Quest (or as I like to call it, the big blue bus). I'm sad to see my SUV go (a Mazda Tribute). I am now driving a mommy mobile. Never thought that would happen!

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Holy Cow! Just goes to show that our kids surprise us in the most unexpected ways (is that a DOUBLE positive?) I'm so glad you've gotten the rooms/bed thing figured out well before baby arrives. And my best mom-of-more-than-2 piece of advice is: it's so much easier taking care of kids when you're NOT pregnant, which is what you'll be when the baby comes along. I know, sounds obvious, but somehow I seemed to think I would always be as exhausted and uncomfortable and unable to do diddly squat as I was when I was 41 weeks pregnant. So just so you remind yourself...

Anonymous said...

Great.. Way to go sharing your bed Austin. Noah would never share with Nick. He is also territorial but he might surprise me.

DeliaKnits said...

That's awesome! Glad it went smoothly!