Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Happy *Belated* Birthday Andrew

As I did for Austin's birthday, I thought I'd tell Andrew's birth story-although fairly uneventful!

For some lovely reason, my body feels to need to extend pregnancies to the full extent. I was 3 days past Austin's due date when he was born and Andrew didn't make his grand entrance until he was 5 days past his due date.

In the wee hours of July 18th (2am to be exact), I was woken up with contractions. Nothing big, just annoying. I had a feeling I was in labor so I timed my contractions (5-7 minutes apart) and then took a shower since I knew a quiet shower wouldn't be in my forecast for a long time! Around 3am I decided to wake Ben up and tell him I was in labor. Contractions still weren't too bad but they were intensifying. For the next hour we debated when to call my parents to come over to stay with Austin. After all, my labor with Austin was just 8 hours...who knew how long Andrew would hold on! By 4am, I was definately ready to get to the hospital since the backrubs had ceased to relax me and I had to start my breathing exercises. My parents arrived at our house by 4:20am so Ben and I took off to the hospital. After being admitted, I was told I was at 4cm (not what any pregnant mom in labor wants to hear). I labored for what felt like hours till I couldn't take it anymore and asked for my epidural. While waiting for the anesthesiologist, my water broke. Don't you just love the feeling of wetting your pants?!? Not my favorite part of labor that's for sure! LOL The wonderful pain reducing dr. finally arrived, started prepping me, put the catheter in my back, and then told the nurse to check how far along I was. Well to my delight (and dismay) I was at 10cm and Andrew was making his entrance WITHOUT my pain meds. OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Andrew Michael made his entrance at 7:45am (yes that's only 5 1/2 hours of labor!) weighing 6 pounds 15 ounces (dispite being 5 days late!) and was 19 1/2 inches long!

Happy birthday my *little* 2 year old!

1 comment:

Tena said...

Happy Birthday Andrew!!!!