Tuesday, July 8, 2008

I have 2 "little" kids!

Andrew had his 2 year well child check up today. I'm convinced that I grow small kids! LOL Both boys were born at 6 pounds and even though Austin is little due to RTS, he's on the small side on the RTS charts!

That being said, Andrew weighed in at 23 pounds and 32 1/2 inches tall. Little squirt! Dr. said great things come in small packages! I couldn't agree more! On the charts Andrew is between 5-10% for height and 3-5% for weight. No complaining here-less to carry around I guess.

Speaking of carrying things around, we're in the midst of a role reversal. I always knew it would happen someday and that someday would be soon but already!?!? Andrew turns 2 on the 18th and is VERY independent. He loves to do everything for himself so lately when I take him out of his car seat he says "I walk". In other words, "don't you even think about putting me in the shopping cart". Austin, on the other hand cries if you Don't put him in the shopping cart. So at the store, my 6 year old rides and my 23 month old walks next to us. Crazy isn't it?

Every once in a while (actually it's pretty frequent) Andrew just blows me away with his "typical" behaviors. I know I'll get some wierd looks for saying this but raising a child without special needs is sooo much easier! Andrew is so much more interested in playing and learning than Austin is. I took this picture of couple days ago. It's Andrew's favorite pastime. He loves to color (which is nice but Austin hates it) and he's actually really good at it. He can stay in the lines some of the time!


By the way, I colored the umbrella in the picture but Ernie and Bert's noses, he did himself!

4 comments:

Cindy said...

Yes, large children are over-rated! (Speaking from experience!)

Yes, it's incredible to see a typical child develop at light speed after having a special needs child. Konrad learns things overnight without me having to teach him...whereas every new skill Natalie has learned has been with hours of effort. It is sooo much easier to have a typical child!

Kelly said...

I have the opposite experience as you. My "typical" child was my first. Ava's milestone came and gone in a blink of an eye. We really get a chance to see Max's milestones. Ava crawled for about 4 months before she walked and it seems like I have been watching Max crawl for a long time now!

Amy said...

Aw. I love that picture. Too cute.

Julie Keefe said...

In the same boat, girlfriend! I have twins born 22 months apart. ;)