Wednesday, March 16, 2011

I *almost* got to use my fire extinguisher!

Okay so I'll try to make the story short!

I had just finished nursing Jack when I sat him up on my leg to burp him and SPLAT! He exploded right out the sides of his diaper and the contents started running down my leg, on the computer chair I was sitting in, and then onto the floor. Yuck.

I put Jack down on a receiving blanket, changed my clothes and turned the oven on that way by the time I was done bathing Jack I could put my lunch in the oven to cook. Once I had put Jack in the bathtub I realized I forgot to grab a diaper for him (our bathtub is upstairs and the diapers are downstairs). After giving Jack a quick bath, I wrapped him in his towel and headed downstairs when I noticed a strong odor of smoke.

My first thought was "oh great, did I turn the stove on instead of the oven and something is melting on the burner?". I ran down the stairs with Jack where the smell was a bit stronger. Getting worried, I laid Jack on the floor at the bottom of the stairs hoping and praying he wouldn't decide to pee all over the place. I got to the kitchen and realized the oven was indeed on like I thought I did. I opened the oven door and out came the smoke! I quickly shut the door and realized there was a fire in the oven! Opening the oven door gave the fire oxygen so it was burning pretty good inside. My mind was racing on what to do so I grabbed the fire extinguisher just in case I needed it. That's when I realized if I kept the oven door closed and the oven off the fire should go out on it's own. I opened the windows and quickly went to check on Jack who was happily rolling around on the floor butt naked. And dry! I put a diaper on him and went back to the kitchen and saw the fire had put itself out. WHEW!

Once I was comfortable opening the oven door back open this is what I found inside:


That's when I realized what happened! I had baked brownies last night and left the oven door open to let the heat out (it's still cold here in NY!). Austin has a tendency to shut the oven door when he sees it open but I wasn't too concerned because by the time Austin saw the door open, the oven had already cooled. My guess is when Austin slammed the oven door shut, he knocked my oven mitt into the oven! When I preheated the oven, I was cooking my oven mitt.

Well now my house smells horrendous but all is well! Here's some cute pictures of Jack I took the other day!



3 comments:

Nicky said...

As anxious as you must have been...it really does make for good story telling :) Way to keep calm and collected though! Jack is too cute...can almost picture him rolling around happily in his birthday suit while you're frantically running around trying to save the day!

Sawyer said...

Phew! Glad all is well and everyone is safe.

I can't believe how big Jack is getting, he is adorable.

Cindy said...

Wow! That's a scare! I'm so glad you had the presence of mind to keep the door closed...sometimes we do silly stuff in a crisis, but you kept your cool. Way to go!

That boy is so cute! Even if he poops all over the place! ;)