Saturday, March 12, 2011

My first run

I've always wanted to be able to say 'I'm a runner'. Today was my day.


Ben and I before the race

Five weeks after Jack was born my sister brought up the idea of starting the Couch 2 5k running program. I thought "sure, why not? It would be good to get the pregnancy weight off and become the runner I've always wanted to be". So my sis and I set out on the program. Just so you are aware, my sister and I are NOT athletic by any means. We've never run before and nor do we play any kind of sport. Yes, we're on the thinner side but definitely out of shape. The first few weeks, running 60 or 90 seconds at a time was a KILLER.

About 6 weeks in to the 9 week program, I had lost all my pregnancy weight and was running 10 minutes at a time!

Today, I ran the 'Shamrock Run' in our city! You could choose the 2.2 mile race or the 5 mile race. Being my first run, I chose the 2.2. And yes, we NYers ran outside in 32 degree weather! I finished the race, happily tagging myself as a runner. 2.2 miles in 21 minutes 56 seconds. And I had a baby 4 months ago. So proud of myself!


the running crowd


My sister and I before the race


stretching before starting our run

3 comments:

Jess said...

Wow. You didnt mention that it was your 3rd baby!! Good work! I bet it felt great!

Amy said...

We are runners! Wahoo!

Cindy said...

Way to go! You are a runner and you are great!