Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Austin's First Dentist Appointment

I know what you're thinking...Austin's nearly 6 and he's just now having his first dentist appointment? Well, long story short-I had a hard time finding someone who was willing to treat him with his limited ability of comprehension and willingness to open his mouth. =)

Anyway, after putting it off long enough, I finally was able to get Austin his first dentist appointment this past Monday. My dentist agreed to see him even though they've never worked with anyone with such disability.



The appointment went ok. I told the hygenist that even if she only cleaned one tooth, I'd be happy. LOL At first Austin was ok with the whole idea, he sat in the chair fairly relaxed until she gave him the sunglasses to wear. He put them on (just long enough for the picture) and then he thrust them at me as if to say "I don't think so!". He then refused to wear the "bib" which I understood due to his sensitivity. With a few tears (thankfully he wasn't sobbing) he let the hygenist clean about 3-5 teeth before he started pushing her away. THEN...in came the dentist just for a look-see and would you know Austin opened his mouth all the way for him!?!?! I couldn't believe it, the stinker! Dr. Schonfield didn't see anything to be concerned about thankfully. The hygenist then attempted to paint fluoride on Austin's teeth (which he tolerated since it was a tiny paintbrush).

All in all, I think it went well. He never burst into tears or bit anybody so there's hope he'll get used to it! Too bad the office doesn't accept Medicaid...so now I get to go through that lovely process. *sigh*

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Huge accomplishment, Michelle. Lukas did only slightly better at his first dentist appointment, so I would be VERY proud of Austin's achievement.