Wednesday, April 16, 2008

One small step forward...


Austin has this cute toy calculator he received as a birthday present last year that he loves. It has several different games on it but Austin could care less, he just likes to push the buttons and hear it talk.

Yesterday while I was on the computer and Austin was sitting on the floor next to me playing I heard a tiny voice say "You got 20 apples!". I immediately whipped around at looked to Austin. Sure enough, he was holding his calculator (properly even!!!) with one thumb on the right arrow button and the other thumb on the left arrow button. He was navitgating the cursor around the screen to "gather the apples"! The most you can get is 20 apples so when I heard that I about fell out of my chair! He usually only can get 3-5 on his own because his hands mirror each other (if the left hand opens and closes, the right copies). So he can't push the left button without pushing the right, he's only able to navigate in one direction. (Hard to describe!) Here he was using each hand correctly, one at a time, all by himself!!! Nearly in tears from being so proud of him, I grabbed the camera but wasn't able to get a picture of him holding the calculator correctly.

3 comments:

Anxious AF said...

Great job Austin!!!!!!

Cindy said...

Whoo hoo Austin! Natalie does the same thing, often using mirrored movements with both hands, but she's getting better. Maybe this is the inspiration Austin needs to practice using each hand individually!

Amy said...

Aww! I missed it! Way to go Austin!