Thursday, June 10, 2010

Austin's new stroller




Here it is!! So excited and can't wait to use it! Austin finally broke through the material on his toddler stroller (must be that hefty 10 pounds!) so I knew it was time to step up to a special needs stroller. THANKFULLY, NY state has funds set aside for families who have children with special needs and offers it to them whenever a larger expense comes across. I am soo thankful to live in this state and that they haven't nixed this program yet! I've been able to use it several times and this time we used it to purchase the Maclaren Major Elite stoller. It holds up to 110 pounds and only weighs 12 pounds. I don't mind telling you all how much it costs, considering I didn't pay for it! It was a whopping $429.00! Eek! Now, you understand why I'm so thankful, right?

Some have asked why even bother buying Austin a stroller so I have to explain. Austin isn't a good walker. He has that wobbly gait that goes along with the syndrome, he walks VERY slow, and can't walk long distances. He has very poor balance so I think he feels more secure in a stroller as well. We mostly use a stroller when we have long trips to the mall, are going to a museum/aquarium/zoo etc. The funny thing is he loves being lazy and sitting in a stroller so much that when we do make him walk a longer distance he gets soo mad at us! He'll literally stop in his tracks and won't move unless someone carries him or puts him in a stroller. Stubborn little booger, huh? Haha!

*the stroller has accessories that you can purchase, such as a shopping basket, sun shade, rain cover, etc. Definitely going to purchase the shopping basket!

2 comments:

Cindy said...

How exciting! I know you're going to love that stroller!

RollerCoaster said...

Great news! I wish my state (IL) would do the same. We could use one, too, but almost all special needs strollers are in the $400 range. It's nice to know your state help you out and I hope you get many miles out of this stroller!