Thursday, March 20, 2008

Great Expectations

I just finished reading over Austin's progress report on his ISP for school. I never look forward to going to these meetings because it's the same old hat. He's waaaay behind his peers, yadda yadda yadda. According to his scores, he's functioning at the same age level as his little brother, Andrew (20 months). I'm not really concerned or anything but I know he understands way more than his brain can communicate. I just wish it would be reflected in his scores. After all, the scores say he's not even 2 yet and he's nearly 6. Lord willing, some day a light will go off and he'll be able to show us just what he really knows!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not upset about it. I've learned over the years to grow thick skin and that the "scores" aren't truly accurate. I'm just longing for Austin to grow out of "...delays are impeding his performance in the classroom and are having a negative effect on his ability to be successful in this environment." (a quote taken from his report)

2 comments:

Anxious AF said...

A few days ago your were overwhelmed, and now how nice to have such a relaxing day!

Im so glad that you are able to look past scores, and know that Austin understands more than the scores give him credit for.

I hate scores.

Jacqui said...

I'm not there yet with our Matt - he's too young for school and scores. But I have started grappling with the whole developmental delay thing. And it's really made me question what life is all about. My theory is that it's about LOVE. It's certainly not about scores. When Austin meets Jesus face to face oneday, Jesus will not be asking him or assessing him about scores. Jesus will look into his heart and see if Austin can love - can he give and receive love. That is the most important thing.

May God bless you as you love Austin. May He give you strength to hold onto this truth in the face of a world that seems to (wrongly) worship "performance" and "achievement".