Saturday, June 21, 2008

2 days left of school!

Austin's last day of school is Tuesday. Bittersweet for many reasons but I'll get into that another day! For one of the end of the year treats, his kindergarten class took a trip to the Old MacDonald Farm (petting zoo/farm). It didn't dawn on me (bad mommy) that Austin would be outside from 9am-2pm for this field trip. Needless to say, he came home with his very first sunburn. I felt pretty bad but luckily it was just on his nose and cheeks and just a slight pink. Not bad though, 6 years old and he got his first touch of color. =) It always amazed me that even though Austin's complexion is pretty darn white, he's never had the slightest bit of a sunburn.

Then a thought occurred to me: Is it possible that Austin's life has revolved around therapy and such that the poor boy doesn't have the opportunity to get some color? Have I sheltered him from the elements just so he won't drive me nuts? (Austin is not a fan of the outdoors-not much he can do)

After lots of prayer and discussion, Ben and I decided to keep Austin out of summer school this summer. This will be Austin's first long stretch without therapy that he's ever had. Sometimes therapy just drives me batty and I know it gets on Austin's nerves as well. Why not have a summer to be a little boy on summer break just like everyone else? I think Austin deserves it. Who knows? Maybe he'll get a small tan. =)

2 comments:

Anxious AF said...

I hope I get to that point someday, i hate therapy and we are only 7 months into it.

Cindy said...

Go Austin! Have a great summer getting dirty and tanned!