Tuesday, August 12, 2008

What would YOU say?

Almost every day I run into people who make comments about my kids. Doesn't everybody? Well, how do you reply when people don't realize the apple of your eye is mentally handicapped? I'm at a loss.

Today I was at the grocery store (by myself!!! Thank you Ben!)and I was cashing in my WIC checks. Knowing I had kids, the bagger asked me what their ages are. I LOVE talking about my kids so I quickly replied "Six and Two". She gave me an exaggerated look and said "Don't you just hate 6 year old's attitudes? They think they know it all!". I was at a loss for words. I just smiled, thanked her, and went home. What was I to say? "No, not really, my 6 year old can't talk?" I come across this problem fairly often and haven't decided if I want to belt out "he's handicapped so sorry I don't deal with that".

Onto more Austin...here's a picture I took this evening of him. He had decided that eating baked beans with a spoon or fork was WAY too much work so yep, he used his hands. And then proceded to rub his eyes, itch his ear, and run his hands through his hair. Yeah. Bath Time was immediately afterward. =)

If you want to REALLY see the pic well...click on it! It's priceless!

8 comments:

Anxious AF said...

I have had a few moments where I do just say what is in my head. Most of the time I dont, people are usually just being nice or making conversation, but after a while it all builds up and out it comes. i call it "word vomit."

Myssie@PendletonMarket said...

OMG!! That picture is too funny!

I am with you, I wouldn't know what to say. I think that you handled it well.

Cindy said...

I think you did the right thing since Austin wasn't there with you, but if he were with you, it could be an opening for people to learn that there are differently-abled people...they can see what fun he is while you're talking about him.

"But Mom, I can taste the beans with my hair too!"

JennaBug said...

Rock on Austin! He looks so innocent though! He had fun.. and thats all that matters!

Kelly said...

Great pic! It gave me a good laugh.

I never know if I should say something or not.

Diana said...

What a funny picture, Michelle! :D I love how kids don't mind getting food in their hair! LOL! :D

While I don't deal with those kind of questions, I can only think that I would handle things the same way as you did. Its not like every six year old has a bad attitude anyway.

Tena said...

Hilarious!!!! He is too cute. I ignore those comments, too. ((hugs))

Amy said...

LOL Austin is just proving that you can wear your food just as well as eating it. How funny! At least it was beans and not spaghetti or something.