Monday, December 8, 2008

Newly discovered talent

Been a bit frustrated lately with Austin. Not so much directed AT him but at RTS in general. He seemed to be in a rut. I haven't seen any gains developmentally in a long time. Every little step is something to be praised right? Maybe my eyes aren't quite focused on the "little steps" due to this busy time of year but I haven't even seen the slightest gain.

Until yesterday.

I was chatting with my mom at church in our Sunday School room (we teach the 4 year old class together) and Austin was doing his usual roaming around the room. Next thing I know my mom exclaims "Michelle, look at Austin!". I turn to my left and Austin is standing at the table with a number puzzle (#'s 0-9) and he's doing it all by himself. Now, Austin is NOT a puzzle person. It frustrates him and he ends up throwing the pieces across the room so this was exciting! I watched him as he successfully placed 5 of the numbers without my help at all. Never been done. No coaching. The last 3 numbers I had to help him with and Andrew had escaped with the rest so he did half the puzzle on his own! Yeah Austin!

6 comments:

Cindy said...

Yeah Austin! That's great! I'll bet he knows more than we think, he's just keeping it to himself.

Anxious AF said...

way to go Austin!

Jacqui said...

These surprises are things we should SAVOUR and then recall them in times of "drought". It is quite remarkable that Austin not only tackled a task that is not within his comfort zone, but also that he initiated it on his own.

Terri H-E said...

Yahoo! Something tells me that this young fella is going to get a few puzzles this holiday....

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you Austin. Noah loves puzzles. Especially the ones that make noises..

Lori said...

Michelle, that is wonderful! Oh, how I miss your mom and the Gillcash clan :) I will be visiting your blog (I added you to my list) Thank you so much for the letter and card..I am behind...we will be lucky if I get them out this year.

{{{hugs}}}

Lori