Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Looking back 8 years

Please don't take this post as if I'm complaining. I'm more or less typing it out to compare.

Last night as I was trying to fall asleep after having an exhausting day from miscarrying, I was thinking to myself. "Good grief, Ben and I have been through a lot since we got married 8 years ago!" So I thought I'd type it all out to get a good look at the last 8 years. By the way, to give you a clue on how exhausted I was, I drank 16oz. of Mountain Dew between 7pm-8:30pm and still fell asleep at 10:30pm. =)

Married October 21, 2000
-Return from honeymoon and come down with mononucleosis
-was so sick could not set up our first house together (military housing)
-bedridden for at least 2 weeks

January 31st, 2001
-miscarry our first baby at 11 weeks and 5 days

End of June, 2001
-contracted E. Coli from a fast food restaurant causing us to turn around and head home on a 3 hour drive to an amusement park
-VERY sick for a length of time

July 7, 2001
-Miscarry our 2nd baby at 5 weeks 6 days

May 15, 2002
-Austin is born with Rubinstein-Taybi Syndrome (although unknown at the time)
-attempted nursing for 6 weeks to no avail
-several agonizing months of painful constipation

January 2003
-Ben leaves for South Korea for one year (Army)

July 2003
-told Ben over the phone that we are now raising a handicapped baby
-go to all the initial medical visits without him (thankfully I lived with my parents at the time)

January 2004
-Ben returns home from Korea to find out he's leaving for Iraq in 5 months

June 2004
-Ben leaves for Iraq the DAY we signed for our first home
-I unpack boxes, deal with Austin, and Ben's departure

June 2005
-Ben returns! Yeah!

September 2005
-Ben leaves the Army and looks for a job
-goes through 4 jobs in a short amount of time for various reasons (no he wasn't fired!)

July 18, 2006
-Andrew is born healthy

Don't recall all the dates but throw in 3 funerals in a short amount of time-
-Uncle Jack Shattuck
-Cousin Dana Ames
-Grammie Winifred Shattuck

January 26, 2009
-miscarry at 6 weeks 6 days


Despite all that, we have a great God who is in control although I have no clue why we go through certain things. One of my favorite bible verses sums it up well:

Matthew 6:34 "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." (NIV)

6 comments:

Brandi said...

Wow Michelle, the facts are the facts, and you are not complaining! Walking in your shoes has not been easy, you have the right to complain if you want to though! :) God is good and is very pleased with how you remain faithful to Him!

-Brandi
Mom to Nathan 9 months RTS

Anonymous said...

Michelle. I was very sorry to hear of your miscarriage. I am thinking and praying for you this evening. All my support, Kristi..

Diana said...

I agree that facts are facts! I'm so glad you can keep a positive outlook on life and your eyes on Jesus through it all! Big hugs to you, michelle! I'm praying for you.

Christine said...

Michelle, Sorry to hear of your sad news. Sending lots of prayers your way. Hugs

Jacqui said...

Michelle. When reading through your list the following words came to mind "refined by fire". I am praying that you will see the results of this fire = the "pure" gold in your life, your marriage, your family, your parenting, and your walk with God. You are such a faithful follower of Jesus; and I pray that in this time of loss and exhaustion you will genuinely experience His comfort. HUGS.

Cindy said...

I'm sooo sorry that you lost the baby. And so sorry to be sending this late...somehow I missed your postings last week.

I haven't been there, so I can't know the feelings you are going through. I can only pray and send you hugs across the miles. I am sooo glad that you have remained strong in the faith through the challenges. We wouldn't be the people we are without the bad and the good that we experience...just like our kids wouldn't be who they are without the genes they have.

Hugs!