Monday, March 16, 2009

Wanted: help!

Three to four months ago, I would have told you that Andrew is a good eater for a toddler. Yes, he was somewhat picky but he'd eat enough to make me happy. Not anymore. For a couple of months now, the only thing he'll eat is carbs. Bread, waffles, mashed potatoes, etc. Oh, he'll eat enough of that one food to fill himself up but 80% of the meals I serve he won't even touch. I can't even get him to eat one bite! Each meal, I'll put a plate in front of him although Ben and I both know he won't touch it. Any suggestions? Austin is the complete opposite. The boy will eat anything you put in front of him. Sometimes he'll even reach for it without even knowing what's about to go in his mouth! No nutrition problems there!

I would love to say I can get Andrew to eat one bite, decide he doesn't like it, and then refuse to eat, but I can't. I had the one bite rule but it got the point where he sat at the dinner table by himself screaming for a LONG time.

I'd love to hear how everyone else deals with this! I can't wait till this phase is over!

BTW, Austin has his 2nd loose tooth! It should fall out any day now!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you get some comments. Noah is going through the same thing and it is sooo hard . Especially at dinner. He could live off of pancakes, and cereal bars if I let him.. I need advice too..

Myssie@PendletonMarket said...

Caroline used to do stuff like that too. We just told her, you have until we are done cleaning up after dinner to eat, if you haven't finished by then you are done. There will be no more food until tomorrow monrning at breakfast, so don't ask. She didn't eat for about 2 days but then she was hungry enough that she ate.

He is trying to have some control in his life. It will pass...

Good luck!!

Brandi said...

I just talked to Bella's doctor about this very same subject on Friday. She went from being the best eater to the worst eater in a matter of weeks. Her doc said that kids should eat 5-6 times a day. Our biggest obstacle was dinner. She said to give Bella plenty of dipping sauces (ranch, ketchup, bbq sauce, peanut butter)whatever sauce it takes to get her to eat. The doc also said to arrange her vegetables into shapes like stick people or geometric shapes (of course along with dipping sauces). In addition if she says that she is full, don't require her to eat anymore, rather offer her the same thing next time she says that she is hungry.

This is just one doctor's opinion. I hope it is useful!

Doodle - said...

Sounds like a control issue. Can you give him choices, for example.... Do you want to eat your hamburger first or your green beans??? We use this with other items as well, "do you want to pick up the blocks or the cars?" I wouldn't stress too much about what he is (or isn't) eating, one of these days he will go back to eating normally. (be warned they will go through this phase again when they are about 12 years old). But it is just that a phase.

(((((HUGS)))))