Saturday, February 16, 2008

Unsteady Steps



Well Austin is now beginning to wear his SureSteps. We started today having him wear them for an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening like they suggest. He didn't seem to mind them much but he is walking a little stiff legged. The only downside to these that I see so far is the fact it eliminates his ability to bend at the ankle to squat or whatever.



My husband and I spent the morning at Target trying to find shoes that allow the orthotic to fit. I was told it may take a long time and to not give up easily. Well we lucked out and Target was our first and only stop. While Ben walked Andrew around the store to keep him entertained, I browsed the aisles looking for little boys size 8-9 lace up, no rubber toed shoes. When I was just about ready to give up, I found a pair of blue Thomas the Train shoes. Lo and behold, they fit with the SureSteps in! I was sooo glad I didn't have to go to any other stores! As I worked Austin's poor foot with his orthotic into his new shoe, it hit me. I shouldn't be sitting on the floor of Target taking insoles out of shoes, desperately trying to accomodate my kindergartner. I should be chasing him around the store putting toys back on the shelf...like the other moms. Of course, tears formed and I *almost* started crying right there on the floor but I shook it off, gave Austin and hug, threw the shoes in the cart, and went to find the rest of the family. One step at a time...

2 comments:

Anxious AF said...

I guess the moments of what we should be doing with our kids wont ever go away. Im glad we can all talk to each other when we need to vent, and each of us will understand.
Im glad you found the shoes so quick.
Jessica

Kristen said...

OHHHH MICHELLE, I am hugging you right now! Can you feel it? :) I am glad that you found the shoes quickly! You are a wonderful mother!!