Thursday, October 30, 2008

Snow Day! (well yesterday is was)



Yesterday was a snow day for us. Austin got to stay home with his brother and mommy. We had a good day although Andrew refused to take a nap cause his brother was home and for goodness sakes he may have missed something exciting if he slept!

The previous winters haven't been all that "exciting" for outdoor play. Austin isn't a fan of being outdoors to begin with but every year I'd bundle him up and take him outside to make a snowman. Austin can't walk in the snow because he doesn't have good balance and he won't touch the snow because, well of course, it's cold. So, I'll do hand over hand for about 5 minutes and then I'll let him sit on our front steps while I make the snowman. We'll see what this year has in store for us.

Since Austin could care less about playing outside in the snow, I decided to take Andrew out. Last year, he had just begun walking (didn't walk till he was 18 months old!) so he wasn't able to enjoy the snow quite yet. I was hopeful for some fun this year and I got it! Oh my goodness, I had so much fun with him! He was so excited to play in the snow. He walked through the knee deep piles, he kicked the bankings (and laughed every time snow fell), and he even grabbed the snow with his bare hands (couldn't find mittens in the house). We only played outside for 10 minutes since I couldn't find the mittens and Andrew wasn't happy about it. He kicked and screamed the whole way in the house! I can't wait to play out in the snow this year! Typical kids are so drastically different to raise! What excites Andrew (snow), bores Austin. What excites Austin (the fish tank), bores Andrew. In a sad kinda way, it always shows me just what I'm missing out on with Austin. It just reinforces our resolve to have days with him (without his brother) to do fun stuff that interests him. He did love the Baltimore Aquarium! Oh wait. I guess that is just one big fish tank! LOL


Note: I took pictures of Andrew looking at himself in the mirror cause he thought the snowsuit was hilarious.





6 comments:

Anxious AF said...

I thought it was cold here. Looks like fun though.

Myssie@PendletonMarket said...

Good Gravy!! That's some snow! Looks like fun!!

Cindy said...

I remember those New York snows...I lived in Corning as a kid. It seems a lifetime ago! I'm envious!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe there is already snow. Here we are in t shirts and shorts still..

Amy said...

LOL I love the picture of him laughing in the mirror. We need to get Andrew & A out in the snow together. That will be funny!

Tena said...

I know exactly what you mean with missing out on times with Austin...it tugs at your heart, doesn't it??