Thursday, May 15, 2008

Austin is 6 today!

Wow, can't believe I actually have a 6 year old! Not that it really feels like it but hey, whatever right? At 1:30 Ben and I are going to Austin's school to surprise him with chocolate chip muffins and Ben will play him "Happy Birthday" on his guitar. If you know anything about RTS or Austin you'll know just how excited Austin will be! Anyway, to celebrate Austin's birthday I thought I'd give a brief account of his birth story:

After suffering 2 miscarriages (one at 12 weeks, one at 6 weeks), Austin was conceived. I had a very easy pregnancy and gained the right amount of weight for my body type. At the time we were living in Sierra Vista, AZ since my husband was stationed at Fort Huachuca. It being their first grandchild, my parents flew from NY to AZ to be there for the birth. My mom planned on staying a month (THANK YOU!!) and my dad stayed for 2 weeks. After my dad left, my sis arrived for 2 weeks! Lots of help! Well while my mom and I were watching Gilmore Girls on TV, I went into labor. 7:45pm on May 14th...finally! Austin was due May 13th.

Well with Austin being my first full pregnancy, I did what the books said and I went to bed to get some rest before the hard contractions came. Yeah right. I was too nervous and excited! 11pm my dr. gave me the ok to head to the hospital and Austin was born at 3:59am (they couldn't just say 4am?!?!) on May 15th after 8 hours of labor and with only 45 minutes of pushing. Oh yeah, mustn't forget the blessed epidural I got once I got to 7cm! LOL He weighed in at 6lbs. 6oz. and 19 1/4 inches long. No problems (RTS related) at birth or afterward. With what we now know we thank the Lord we didn't run into problems. Austin did have trouble nursing so I fed him with an eye dropper while I was in the hospital with him. If you'd like to read a bit more you can see Austin's website and all the other RTS cuties at http://www.rubinstein-taybi.org/our/Austin

3 comments:

Anxious AF said...

Happy belated birthday Ausitn!!!!

I hope you enjoy your fish, and being 6!

Love Alex

Terri H-E said...

Happy birthday to big boy Austin! That's funny about the guitar - Addie's nightly ritual is not complete until she and dad rock out a bit - he plays and she arranges pillows on the bed and literally becomes a head banger! All the best to your smiling prince on his birthday and beyond!

Terri and Addie

Myssie@PendletonMarket said...

happy Birthday Austin!!!! Bowling looked like a great time!