Friday, May 23, 2008

My Growing Boy!

Well thank you all for your prayers! My husband was able to come home early to care for Andrew and A while I took Austin to his 2 appointments. Austin's pediatrician appointment went really well. He was nervous and on the verge of tears at all times but none the less he cooperated. Before I spill the beans on Austin's growth stats here's a little background on him so it makes a little more sense to all of you.

Austin is a *very* little 6 year old. He has never been on the typical growth charts. He usually falls around -5 to -10%. Even on the RTS growth chart, he's on the lower side. Last I remember he's around the 5%. He grows extrememly slow and usually will wear one size of clothes for almost 2 years. He doesn't grow out of clothes...he wears them out! LOL I'm a meticulous charter of the kids baby books so looking back shows me that Austin gained 8 pounds in in 3 years (from ages 2-5yrs) and he grew 5 inches in those 3 years as well.

So now you have a better understanding you'll understand my shock at the dr.'s appointment. Austin tipped the scales at 34 pounds (insert a gasp from mommy here) and measured 38 1/2 inches tall. The reason I gasp? 34 pounds means Austin gained 6 pounds in ONE year!!! That's nearly as much as he gained in 3 years! He also grew 2 1/2 inches in the last year as well and that HALF of what he grew in the last 3 years! WHOO HOO!

I just finished charting him on the RTS growth chart and the percentile didn't change. =( Boo! He's still around 5% for his height and 25% for his weight.

Oh yes, and the 2nd appointment went without a hitch. The orthopedist filed his braces a bit and we're hoping it'll correct the bruising on Austin's feet!

2 comments:

Cindy said...

That's great news! GO Austin!

Myssie@PendletonMarket said...

Way to go Austin!!