Thursday, September 3, 2009

And here it goes!

Well it's official. We are going to put Austin on the gluten free diet. We've decided to wait to try the casein free diet since doing it all at once sounds so complicated. I've got enough to worry about without adding more!

This morning I had to run to the store (forgot to purchase ingredients for a meal) so I decided to keep my eye out for gluten free items. I was 3/4 of the way through the store and hadn't seen a thing til I saw the Rice Chex cereal. There were 3 kinds of Chex that said they were gluten free! Once I got the bread aisle, I found a relatively small section of nothing but gluten free items! I was soo delighted to see it but when I saw the prices, my heart sank. I'm going to have to take out a small loan to pay for this diet! I'm used to paying under $1 for spaghetti and the gluten free stuff was $3.99! Yes, this is the only store I've shopped at so I'm going to look around and check Aldi's, Super Walmart, and our local health food store and see who's cheapest but good grief! I stocked up on several gluten free foods (regardless of price, just to get started) and here is what I got:

Rice Chex cereal
semi-sweet chocolate chips
Betty Crocker brownie mix
Betty Crocker yellow cake mix
Betty Crocker chocolate chip cookie mix
Spaghetti noodles
Chocolate Caramel bite size cookies
Bread mix (thought it might be cheaper to make it myself but we'll see!)

I will be frequently blogging about my attempts at this diet for Austin and what changes we see since many are curious about it. I still have a ton of questions about what he can eat and what he can't so once I figure out a few days worth of gluten free meals we'll start Austin on it.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

That is a daunting task...good idea only doing one thing at a time. I'm interested to hear how it goes, and I'm praying for your strength!