Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Gluten Free Day #1


Well today was semi-successful! I started Austin's day with gluten free toast with peanut butter. He took a big bite, chewed a bit, and gagged on it. He then took another bite, then burst into tears and handed it back to me. He does NOT like gluten free bread! I do have some mixes that others have tried and said they're really good so there's still hope! I tried the bread myself and it was like biting into a dried up sponge (not that I've ever done that!). So his breakfast was gluten free cereal this morning instead.

I sent him to school with a gluten free lunch (minus the pb&j sandwich I planned on making him with that nasty bread) and his teacher said he loved it. For dinner, I had planned on making a lasagna but didn't want to leave Austin out since he can't eat the pasta (haven't bought them GF kind yet) so I made him a GF Penne Rigate instead. The dishes cook for roughly the same amount of time and use nearly identical ingredients. I just used the GF Penne noodles. He loved it! Even had seconds!

So day 1 is over and I'm trying another kind of bread tomorrow. This one was handmade by a friend who is also on the diet so he SHOULD like this one. I'm also trying a GF cereal bar for breakfast tomorrow since the GF rice chex bored him a bit. =)

Bottom pic is from today as we were waiting for the bus!

3 comments:

Amy said...

Yeah! Who's baking the bread for you?

Brandi said...

Yeh for success! My friend bakes all of her bread. She has some great recipes. Let me know if you need some more ideas! That's great that you have so much support from his classroom teacher!

Cindy said...

Congrats on making it through day 1. I am really interested in watching the process!